1. What is Low Strain Impact Integrity Tests?
Pile Integrity Testing is a low-strain, non-destructive testing method that assesses the condition of cast-in- place piles, drilled shafts or driven concrete/timber piles.
2. When would you use Low Strain Impact Integrity Tests?
A client may need to determine integrity and/or toe depth of piles to ensure they meet specified load capacities. PIT is especially useful on standalone piles, i.e. those not connected to a footing and before construction of the superstructure (visible portion of the building). Piles with connecting elements can also be tested, in certain conditions
3. What are the Benefits of Low Strain Impact Integrity Tests?
- Mobile – portability of PIT device enables CSI technicians to operate in remote areas
- Non-destructive – pile is not damaged during the process (the hammer strike is quite light)
Standard – ASTM D5882 − 07 Standard Test Method for Low Strain Impact Integrity Testing of Deep Foundations