1. What is Corrosion Surveying?
Corrosion Surveys are testing methods CSI use to determine the causes and the action of corrosion, particularly in steel reinforcement. These methods include:
- Visual Inspection
- Identifying Concrete Cover (through scans or physical measurement)
- Chloride Content Test
- Testing for Carbonation of Concrete
- Rebar Corrosion Determination – Half-cell Potential Testing
2. When would you use Corrosion Surveying?
When you need to know the condition of reinforcement and its susceptibility to corrosion. e.g. in a basement wall panel where cracks have developed, or in a bridge beam exposed to sea water
3. What are the Benefits of Corrosion Surveying?
- The variety of methods ensure the corrosion survey is conducted to a high standard
- Can help identify problem areas before damage occurs – saving the client money
- If repair work is required, due to corrosion, the client can determine which areas are
high priority rather that undertaking full-scale repairs