1. What is Rebar Corrosion Determination?
RCD is a testing method that helps determine the susceptibility of uncoated steel reinforcement to corrosion. The service estimates the electrical potential at intervals in continuous reinforcing steel, and therefore helps quantify the rate at which steel can be expected to oxidise (rust).
2. When would you use Rebar Corrosion Determination?
A client may require RCD when they need to know the susceptibility of reinforcement to corrosion. Any load-bearing element needs to be in good condition to fulfil its role in keeping a structure supported and safe.
3. What are the Benefits of Rebar Corrosion Determination?
- Helps quantify reinforcement’s chance/rate of corrosion. By measuring the electrical potential, problem areas can be identified and prioritised
- Small drill holes make little impact on the construct structure – also easy to repair
Standard – ASTM D5882 − 07 Standard Test Method for Low Strain Impact Integrity Testing of Deep Foundations